Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Motor Rewind Photos

We got the motor rewound in record time! Jackson worked from 5:30PM to 1:30 AM last night to finish the rewind. You can check out the rest of the photos here

Monday, June 24, 2013

Motor Rewinding

It turns out that we need to rewind the motor before REFUEL, and there isn't any time to waste. We've already taken the old windings out and put in the new Nomex paper in preparation for the new windings to go in.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

MAC Track

MAC Track was a success! There were a lot of challenges that popped up, and we're going to be really busy this week making sure we're ready for REFUEL at Leguna Seca. There are a ton of photos and videos to go through, but little time to do it! We will try to get everything available ASAP!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Repairing the motor

The plan of attack to keep the axle from spinning in the stator without being able to clamp it in the mill was to drill holes that cut through both the hard steel axle, the stainless steel sleeve and the aluminum center stator support. Then we pounded hard knurled steel pins into the holes, and welded all of it together. This should help the motor stand up to the  one hundred plus foot-pounds of torque that this motor dishes out.




 photo 20130618_224813_zps628ddfb1.jpg



 photo 20130619_180357_zpsa1fd9684.jpg



 photo 20130619_195614_zps344faa07.jpg



 photo 20130619_195619_zps649011b1.jpg

Progress With the Liquid Cooling System

The screen enclosure for the liquid cooling system is almost finished, just need to mill the lexan faceplate and paint it.The top line is for the infared temperature sensor that is pointed at the outside of the motor, and the second line is for the thermistor that is inside the motor (not connected in photo). When the temperature gets above a certain level a pump gets activated and sends water inside the motor, where the heat from the motor will turn it into steam, which will escape through the side vent holes.

Too Much Horsepower!

Towards the end of our Santa Cruz trip the bike stopped working. Scoping the hall signal outputs it was determined that a hall sensor had been knocked loose. After tearing into the motor, we found out why the motor stopped working, and it wasn't good news... The axle twisted in the center aluminum stator support. It was only stopped by the hall sensor being pulled out of its slot, confusing the controller. After that happened, the two broken shear pin pieces beat up the ends of the lam stacks, luckily the magnets kept it contained to the lams, and they left the windings alone.  Should be fixable by mac track on Friday. Hopefully.



 photo 20130618_205159_zps81ffbfce.jpg


 photo 20130618_214536_zps866536e1.jpg


 photo 20130618_205959_zpsd748a2f6.jpg


 photo 20130618_210021_zps635205ed.jpg


Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dyno Tuning the New Controller

We've got the bigger Sevcon controller installed and tuned thanks to the guys at Zero! Here's a video of the final run on the Dyno:

Monday, June 17, 2013

A fresh new Italian 415H racing chain has been put on, and the new controller has been installed! It is running only 70% power until we can get it on the dyno tonight. With the 420A controller geared for 100mph, it pulls harder than it ever did geared for 70mph with the lil 250A controller. Can't wait to get some numbers from it tonight turned up to 100% !






Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Getting the Suspension Set Up and Taking a Look at the Colors

Woo! The paint was pretty close to the leathers! Got Chase on the bike in gear and got the suspension sag all set up, and I don't think I'll have to trade any of the springs. Just a little shim to take up the unused 5 or so mm that is default on 2003-5 kyb forks.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Bike is Back Together With New Rev Limited Top Speed

The bike is back together! And with a new top end rev speed limit of 104 mph!The Rev limiter is set at 3000 rpm. 30-72 gearing on 415 chain. The new controller (size 4 sevcon, thanks hollywood electrics!) should be making about 270 lbs of thrust with this gearing. 6G isn't half bad!

Friday, June 7, 2013

Re-Assembling the Bike

Getting closer... battery is back in the frame, re-doing the wiring harness tomorrow.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Frame Has Been Painted

After getting it back from the sandblaster, we were able to paint the frame! You can check out more pictures from the process here.



Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New Motor Bearings and Paint

Progress being made, the motor has a new set of bearings, and a fresh coat of paint. And the frame has been delivered to the sandblaster, when It gets picked up, It will get some paint too.







Sunday, June 2, 2013

Swingarm Changes and Frame Painting

We've taken the bike apart so we can paint the frame and add some more support to the swingarm. Unfortunately there was about 6 oz. of water that came out when we turned the bike upside down, so we'll need to dry out the inside before we do any painting. Also replacing the old dropouts with ones that are shorter and thicker.